Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Why don't they know that 7 grill is way too big? Looks like Clifford. The previous model looked awesome and I frequently mistake it for a 5 series, looks sleek and smaller than it is, which is what you want for a large, sporty sedan. This big nose does the opposite.
As big as the new 7er grill may be, the grill on the Audi is much larger than the grill on the BMW. I have no skills with Photoshop, but I'm curious if someone simply lowered the grill so the top of the grill lined up with the top of the headlights, if that would put all the haters at bay. That's how the Audi's all are - the top of the headlights are slanted down and line up with the top of the grill, versus the BMW's where the headlights intersect the grill lower.
I don't hate the bigger grill, I think it looks great on the X5, just not on this. And I think it's also that the hood is higher, like they stretched the grill as they brought the whole nose taller. Could be wrong, to be fair I've never looked at the previous model and this side by side, but that's the impression I get when I look at this one. And if that's the case, the grill is really the byproduct of a different problem...

Also, the Audi grill is completely different. Don't think the comparison is all that valid, it's not about the size of the grill in a vacuum, just the overall look.

Now, if BMW took your suggestion and at the same time sloped the whole hood down more like (I think) the previous model was, then that could definitely make a difference, perhaps. But I think I'd still prefer the previous one.
Appreciate 0