Thread: CarPlay issues
View Single Post
      04-16-2018, 05:28 PM   #7
FastLaneJB
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M760Li

Have to say I'm not all that sure about CarPlay. You gain a couple of things but you lose others. Will give it some more time but might be if I end up having enough of it I'll turn it off and go back to just normal Bluetooth.

The downsides are the removed functionality you get in the native car. With Bluetooth I can cycle through my music on the HUD which is something I have always done a lot ever since having my first BMW with a HUD. With CarPlay you only can skip forward or back a song without seeing what they are, I cannot scroll through and jump forward to the next track I like.

The lack of contact syncing means you've got to go into CarPlay to navigate to a contact. Might have missed if they've moved it but on previous cars I could build up contacts in the cars iDrive to add in some business locations I might Nav to. Now it seems I need them in my phone to get them to show up and with CarPlay enabled have to go to them via that to then say Navigate via BMW Nav.

Not had any messages really come in yet so likely I'm missing some of the positives here but I think when you've such a solid system as iDrive, CarPlay is actually a bit weak currently.

Anyway will stick with it for a while to give it a proper shot.
Appreciate 0