05-29-2020, 05:01 PM   #1636
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by super51fan View Post
75 peak horsepower. Keyword is peak. Peak is important.

2.0 Supra makes more power than the 370z until roughly 5500-6000 rpm and makes more torque throughout the powerband. IN GEAR or not, the Supra pulls way harder down low at the RPMs you use the most thus feeling faster.
I get that it has more torque, I just don't think you're correct about area under the curve (not that either of us could verify without back to back dyno runs on the same day, along with a bunch of math.) If we assume you're correct and the Z makes less power below 5500 RPM, you've still got 2000 RPM to work with between 5500 RPM and the Z's 7500 RPM redline. If you shift at redline, the Z drops from 7500 RPM to about 6000 RPM, at which point the car is still making more horsepower than the Supra would be at peak power. So while overall area under the curve may go either way, the area under the curve that actually matters during high performance driving is MUCH bigger on the Z car.

That said, between the transmission, the better torque and the lower peak power RPM, I'm sure the Supra would feel faster in day to day driving. But if you're driving the cars hard, the Z is going to pull harder in gear.

Obviously everyone drives differently and its totally fine to prefer one type of powerband over another. My personal preference when it comes to performance cars is to always place some sort of a premium on high RPM power, as I find that to be the most exciting part of the powerband. I also would never buy a supra by virtue of transmission. But hey, I could've bought a 370Z and I didn't even consider it for a second, so its not like you're totally wrong here either.
Appreciate 2
Biginboca3761.50
tim99ws6110.00