View Single Post
      03-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #40
bolinp78
G35 convertee
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i (AW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post

(where I'm at an age/position in which I would be going into that market blind-folded) then it's obviously out of the window.
You'll be going in worse than blind-folded if you listen to most of the people on here tell you where to put your money, i can promise you that. Do some of your own research to learn about what is out there and then go get an advisor (and do not let them push you around and force anything on you).

I do not personally use an advisor, but I have concentrated my money in dividend yielding stocks, MLP's, a few bonds a while back, and mixed in some covered calls every so often. I look really good right about now because I bought a ton during the big downturn, knowing that at the (low) point I bought it at, if it went any lower it didn't matter because I wouldn't be in a position to be forced to sell any of it. So now I'm up 100+% on my total cost basis on a lot of positions, but that isn't normal. You can't expect and plan for something like that.

Dividend stocks are good, but you don't just buy them purely because the dividend looks sexy. You have to believe in the company as well. If you plan to keep the stock long term, the dividend will help you mitigate any unrealized losses, though.