Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
Yeah I think Eco Pro makes the most sense when you've got active cruise on as well. That way the throttle response isn't something that affects or bothers you.

How much coasting are you getting Pelo Cat over a certain distance? I've not had chance to do a large journey again to test it out on but it did amaze me just how much coasting it could pull off.
I'll have to revise my previous comments about eco pro. Last week the traffic on the motorway and secondary roads I was using must have been exceptionally light which allowed me to use eco pro without issue. It does make a significant difference to fuel economy BUT I had to cancel my trial to use it for a whole tank of fuel as one quirk I really dislike about eco pro: if you use ACC and eco pro, the car will start to slow down (I'm not sure if it is coasting or actively braking) at the first sign of a vehicle in front on the ACC distance monitor (so 4 bars out) not what you may have set it to (I'm usually 2 bars at motorway speeds) which means that you are almost always going up or down like a yo yo in speeds and needing to overtake far earlier than one would normally on UK roads (which isn't safe and certainly disrupts traffic flow).

Had to stop using it to be honest, will give it a try on secondary roads but given the high concentration of lorries and spacing of them, I found eco pro very unsettling and stressful if I was trying to eek out the fuel, which isn't worth the offset in stress and peace of mind, so ended up switching it to adaptive which still uses coasting a bit (not nearly as much though) and allows for a more normal traffic integration and experience. Shame really, like the idea but the fuel savings algorithm is at the expense of everything else in eco pro and one rarely has more then 4 bar distance to any vehicle during normal hours so find it very stop start 'jerky' which is not natural and not the point of a luxury car like the 7...some further work needed me thinks!

To answer the question FastLaneJB, I checked and it would coast for 0.1 of a mile at times, dropping about 4 mph before kicking back in and accelerating again...most of the time it wouldn't be this much on flat roads but there are cases when it can do exceptionally well (without hills which I am not including here).

So adaptive it is for me...unless I am out at 2 AM sometime!