View Single Post
      07-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #49
Soterios
BXR
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Please. EVs are taxing the grid as compared to a vehicle with an ICE that puts zero load. There is no escaping this reality.

Plus there isn't any law or requirement that people charge during the evening hours. I'm sure there is plenty of EVs charging during peak load times.
Your brown out statement implied that EVs were overloading the grid. Of course a charging car is loading the grid, I was simply implying that it wasn't significant, especially given the low number that are currently out there. Your power company is aware and preparing for that.

The idea of regulating car charging is silly. We don't regulate how people use their power. "Your house is too big." "You're using your A/C too much." "You don't need a 240v supply for your welder."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCanuck View Post
Yep, and since 63% of that grid is generated by fossil fuels, guess what ... EVs generate GHGs. And since coal is half of that, it generates the worst type of pollution possible.

As for peak vs non-peak, I see plenty of EVs plugged in for charging in the parkade at my office. That's pretty much peak time. Fortunately, our electricity is hydro and doesn't generate GHGs (but is environmentally damaging in other ways).

There are plenty of reasons to buy EVs and even Tesla's, but anyone who thinks they're saving the world is either deluded, uninformed, or drinking too much of Elon Musk's Kool-Aid.

Plus, I saw a Model 3 in the wild today. Wow, is it ugly. The Model S is an attractive car, but the X and 3 are just complete misses from a style perspective.
Even with our current power generation, EVs are absolutely more 'green'. The obvious upshot is that while gasoline engines are making marginal strides in cleanliness, our grid is rapidly becoming more green, thus EVs are as well.

Last edited by Soterios; 07-20-2018 at 10:05 PM..
Appreciate 0