First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW F80 M3 2016 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfurse View Post
Seems that comfort access and radio keys make stealing our cars comparative child's play. The newer cars have a key that deactivates after some time, does anyone know if that includes our F8x cars or do the keys always broadcast?

Article is here:
https://www.whatcar.com/news/car-the...rs-2019/n19875

There is a glimmer of hope as the spokesperson indicated we can get an upgrade to the motion sensing key/system which drastically reduces it's attack surface:
"He added that owners of many older BMW models can pay to have the motion sensor technology retrofitted; the price of this differs between models."
This is hoopla for nothing. Comfort Access has been an option on BMW's for a long time. Comparatively BMW's aren't stolen very much. Vandalized perhaps, but completely stolen!? Naw!
Isn't that a bit like saying "My PC has never had a virus so it never will!"?

If the car's are now discovered to be vulnerable to today's hackers and there's something we can do to reduce that vulnerability that's a good thing surely?

Relying on insurance means everyone's premium goes up and these cars become more expensive/difficult to insure because of some weak ass Tech that was designed years ago.

I'm definitely grabbing a blocking bag for my key, cheap and effective!
Appreciate 0