View Single Post
      07-13-2020, 09:30 AM   #12
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Yeah, all of the above, unless you have a really aggressive dog, you shouldn't need to worry, but you do need to be alpha with the dog (before, not now - if you weren't already alpha, then the dog will think he/she is and good luck to you lol).

My dog was pretty depressed for the first year because I don't think we did enough to make sure he was included, but he's fine now and lets the kids climb on him and everything - he's a super gentle lab, so I was never too worried. But I did the same, I went into the house first with the dog, then I brought my son in his car seat in and let my dog smell him (dog was sort of scared but curious, could tell because the tail went down, but was sort of wagging as he creeped up to get close), and then we just acclimatized him.

Only thing I would say is don't make the mistake I did by not giving your dog the same level of attention...it won't be exactly the same of course because you are going to have your hands full, but make a good effort to keep doing the same things with your dog as before as much as you can. We had a very difficult first year with our first where he barely ate, so there were complicating factors in our case.
Appreciate 0