07-15-2020, 01:28 AM   #16
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Just to add something about giving the dog attention-----we were provided with this advice that I thought was good: When the infant is around, make sure you give the dog a lot of attention. When the child is not around, don't give much attention to the animal. I know this can be a bit challenging and almost feel backwards, but it is very important. Dogs are pattern-based learners. They would DEFINITELY pick up on a pattern where, when the kid is around, they get ignored, and then when the kid is napping or whatever and not around, then the dog gets lots of attention. If they get ignored when the child is around, then the dog can learn to resent the kid, and you don't want that. But if they only get huge attention when the child is present, the dog will desire the child's presence. Again, I know this requires some extra effort and awareness, but we found it to work well for us.

As far as introducing the child to the animal, it wasn't complicated for us. Prior to the baby coming home, I would bring a skull cap in a Zip-Loc bag home and open it in front of the dog and let him examine it. He sniffed it fairly intently. I did that each day before the child arrived. Once we brought the baby home, he sniffed her and was on board. He was a pack oriented animal---a lab spaniel mix. Always loyal to the pack. Even with that loyalty, we still never left the dog and the baby in a room by themselves. I can't see why that would ever be a good idea.

hehe he learned to love meal times around the high chair. He would lay at the foot of that high chair patiently as long as necessary to get a shot at the high chair once she was removed. Sometimes food would rain down on him. He loved it. As we lifted her out of the high chair, his nose was almost pushing her legs out of the way so could lick that chair clean! Good times! (Geez.....that kid is going to be a senior in high school this Fall!!)

Last edited by dogbone; 07-15-2020 at 01:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
FSHNGRY2336.50