View Single Post
      08-06-2018, 09:48 AM   #28
DerEisbaer
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & VW Golf Mk2

These many repairs are not normal and in some way, not acceptable, correct.

But to judge from owning one high-end luxury car, that the whole brand is not reliable - quite a stretch I would say.

My grandfather had an E28, an E34 and an E39 - all without any major hick-ups and usual repairs for the age / mileage they were in. E28 + E34 even had nothing more done to them other than usual services.

The E39 was handed down to me 2 years ago and again, no major issue. Never let me stranded, just regular maintenance which would occur on a 20-year-old, 200k Camry or ES350 as well.

In over 10 years of ownership, E46 Touring of my dad had no major issues other than a battery that went flat - and unfortunately some new glow plugs because the dealer messed up and didn't diagnose the flat battery from the beginning.

My M3 now had a misfire on cylinder 8 - most likely an ignition coil - which Mk5 GTIs burned through like crazy. I was not amused, but then again, I drive this car hard all the time, it is a toy for me.

The GTR was mentioned here being reliable & cheap, which is more or less true, but if something like the Sat-Nav screen breaks, you can check your piggy bank as well.

Again, one car doesn't represent the whole brand, even one model doesn't represent the whole brand.

What were the actual repairs and could it be, that the dealer may have made issues worse (by not knowing the car well enough etc.), leading to the point that you had to come in again?
Appreciate 1
SakhirM410784.50