12-02-2022, 08:48 AM   #23
Theruleslawyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfritz27 View Post
What are you guys running for wheel/pedal setups? I've only had this Logitech G29... definitely don't want to drop the $$ now as I've been spending it elsewhere, but for those with comparison experience, would something like a CSL DD + CSL pedals w/ load cell be "leaps and bounds" better?
Simagic Alpha with the GTC wheel. T-LCM pedal and Th8a shifter.

There are a couple things you get-

More Force
A g29 is like 2.2nm, a high end belt like a t-gt is 5.8nm. Low end DD are 5-8ish. The alpha is a 15nm base, and really high end ones go up to 30ish. For GT3 in iracing I run mid 60% force scaling on the alpha. Its a workout.

This allows a few things-
1) Realistic forces. Especially open wheelers need high forces to replicate real steering. 10nm is probably fine for most people/cars.
2) Force scaling. For subtle forces to be perceptible they have to be a certain force. On weaker wheels that means bigger forces feel a lot closer to small forces and it can make everything muddy or you just end up turning small forces off. Its a harder balance.
3) headroom for no clipping, running larger diameter wheels, etc.

Better reaction/detail
Just due to the construction there is zero lash/stretch in a DD system. Its a little like putting solid bushings on your car. Everything is a little sharper. I've heard people say they can tell when they go over a paint line on a well setup track on dd.

So going from something like a g29 to a low end DD is going to be a huge jump. You'll get 3-5x the force. The detail will be significantly better.

If you only have a little to spend right now get a set of the t-lcm pedals. They are load cell pedals and will be light years better than the g29 pedals. There were some good sales over BF, but even at $230 they are well worth it. They'll probably do more to make you faster than a new wheel anyways.
Appreciate 1
jfritz271106.00