12-03-2022, 10:59 AM   #26
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
This will never happen in that time frame. Production of the 150 kW chargers will have to dramatically increase. Even if the chargers are available, reliability is likely to be poor, a new study found that about 27% of San Francisco’s electric charging stations do not work. On top of that, the legislation only requires “at least one charger per station needs to be working more than 97 percent of the time—and that they will limit their impact on the electric grid.” How are they going to limit impact on the electric grid? They won't. Power companies will need an estimated $5,800 in upgrades for every new EV for the next eight years in order to compensate for the demand for power. Right now there are about 20 million American families who are behind in their electric bills.
But your argument makes it worse for a hydrogen economy. The global need for electricity required to produce hydrogen will challenge power companies the same way, except demand will be higher because the end to end efficiency of transforming electricity into motion at the wheels of a car is lower than with EVs.

Plus the demands of building a hydrogen infrastructure basically from scratch.

I just don’t see it, it makes no sense other than potential niche applications.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 2