12-03-2022, 01:30 PM   #10
Melloco2201
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw m850 bmw x7 jeep wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswld34 View Post
OP, I was in a similar place as you a few months ago. I was leasing a 2020 F95 x5m competition with several months remaining in the lease (I've leased all bmws I've had since 2012). I saw a 19 m760 on the lot with low miles and about 2 years warranty left (some factory the rest CPO). I had been having a lot of engine trouble with the S63 engine (which is common with the n63/s63) so I was visiting the dealer often and kept seeing this car on the lot. Im not even sure the dealer fully knew what they had sitting there. I liked the look of the pre Lci 7er to the 2020+ (I have a 2021 740 leased) so this car ticked all the boxes for me and I'm the kind of person that likes having unique and special cars. What's more special than a twin turbo V12 which will no longer be offered soon?

I drive a lot (15k / yr) so I was skeptical about longevity. Given this would be the first car I bought in some time I tried to research issues with this motor. And I really couldn't find any. I also crossed with the rolls Royce cars as this motor is in a few RR models in a slightly different state of tune, and couldn't find much there either. I can't imagine RR would put an unreliable motor in their cars considering their type of clientele and brand. Nor would BMW at the original MSRP price points of $170k+.

So I pulled the trigger after driving it a few times and I do not regret it all. The drivetrain is so overbuilt that with proper maintenance I feel confident it will last a long time. Unlike the hot V8s that are very stressed to get the power, the N74 barely works to pump out 600+ hp. It also has the beefier VF transmission over the V8 and M V8 cars so it can handle a lot more torque than what it's currently tuned for. That's a good indication that you shouldn't have transmission issues.

I think like any BMW I've owned, there will be a lot of comfort or electronic failures over time. You have to expect that and it's luck of the draw. But from a drivetrain perspective, I think this is one of the most reliable and solid platforms BMW has offered for a very long time.

You will need to pay for some expensive maintenance items down the road but that should be expected with a V12 engine. But when you think about how much car you're buying for the price, it feels like a bargain to me. It is so much more refined and special to drive than the V8 version, and the V12 badge garners special treatment and attention.

And I love mine so much, I haven't missed my X5M comp at all (which was a dream car for me). Buy it, you won't be disappointed
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerswld34 View Post
OP, I was in a similar place as you a few months ago. I was leasing a 2020 F95 x5m competition with several months remaining in the lease (I've leased all bmws I've had since 2012). I saw a 19 m760 on the lot with low miles and about 2 years warranty left (some factory the rest CPO). I had been having a lot of engine trouble with the S63 engine (which is common with the n63/s63) so I was visiting the dealer often and kept seeing this car on the lot. Im not even sure the dealer fully knew what they had sitting there. I liked the look of the pre Lci 7er to the 2020+ (I have a 2021 740 leased) so this car ticked all the boxes for me and I'm the kind of person that likes having unique and special cars. What's more special than a twin turbo V12 which will no longer be offered soon?

I drive a lot (15k / yr) so I was skeptical about longevity. Given this would be the first car I bought in some time I tried to research issues with this motor. And I really couldn't find any. I also crossed with the rolls Royce cars as this motor is in a few RR models in a slightly different state of tune, and couldn't find much there either. I can't imagine RR would put an unreliable motor in their cars considering their type of clientele and brand. Nor would BMW at the original MSRP price points of $170k+.

So I pulled the trigger after driving it a few times and I do not regret it all. The drivetrain is so overbuilt that with proper maintenance I feel confident it will last a long time. Unlike the hot V8s that are very stressed to get the power, the N74 barely works to pump out 600+ hp. It also has the beefier VF transmission over the V8 and M V8 cars so it can handle a lot more torque than what it's currently tuned for. That's a good indication that you shouldn't have transmission issues.

I think like any BMW I've owned, there will be a lot of comfort or electronic failures over time. You have to expect that and it's luck of the draw. But from a drivetrain perspective, I think this is one of the most reliable and solid platforms BMW has offered for a very long time.

You will need to pay for some expensive maintenance items down the road but that should be expected with a V12 engine. But when you think about how much car you're buying for the price, it feels like a bargain to me. It is so much more refined and special to drive than the V8 version, and the V12 badge garners special treatment and attention.

And I love mine so much, I haven't missed my X5M comp at all (which was a dream car for me). Buy it, you won't be disappointed
Hi
Your input def helps
Thank you
I really like the body style, it looks sportier, beefier than the current one and yes the v12 def makes special

I am more of a monthly payment kind of buyer

Buying this one on a 72 month finance or leasing a 750xi loaded for 36 months gives me the same payment. Doing a select finance on a new 22 m760 will cost me $700 more a month
So it makes the decision very hard

I am even thinking what the best option would be if i wanted to rent it the car out via TURO
I hv some clients that do that and this pays for their cars, or even getting an x6 m that i am told is more desirable

Right now ww have

X7 (wifes/ family car )
Jeep Wrangler ( moms / extra car)
M3 comp my car but i dont want to pile up miles
On it

I just returned a ram truck and a m850 cp lease

So i need an extra car
My wife has always wanted to hv a 7 but will leave it up to me

So as you can see i am all over the place lol
Appreciate 0