View Single Post
      12-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
NC F82
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White F82

Well he is on his 4th 7. His previous cars in order have been: 06 E90 330i, 07 Merc E350, 04 E66 745Li, 01 E38 740i Sport, & 98 E38 740iL. He loved the E38 (but didn't like the Sport edition, if he has a 7 it needs to be more smooth riding than that Sport offered, so all his other ones have NOT had the sport package). He loved the E66, but hated the design of it and the whole transmission knob being on the steering column. He HATED the Merc (mainly because it wasn't a BMW) enough to where he traded with his wife and took her 06 E90 and gave her the Merc! He loved the E90 with the manual but I think was ready to be back in a 7 (he is 6'5'' and likes the room) He loves the design and layout of the F02, but just thinks the engine and transmission is the worst. His biggest gripe with the car is because of the turbo lab, it is just killing him. He hates the feeling of slowing down to make a right hand turn and when he gets through the turn and goes to accelerate and the car just doesn't respond fast enough and his back end is just sticking out. He says he is always waiting to just be hit in the back because of that. Then when he gives it another little punch to get through the corner and those turbos kick in it's just a huge punch of acceleration so he is also waiting to ram into someone in front of him (and he has almost done it before!)

He has taken it in to the dealership several times and they have tried reprogramming it and even done the spark plug swap out when they recalled them, but nothing is working. He feels that with a car this big and this expensive it should be smooth and comfy and he shouldn't have to baby the accelerator so much. I did get to drive it for a couple of days and I'm with him on the complaints, the only way to really get the car to respond somewhat nicely is to be in Sport+ with the transmission in manual and drive it really aggressively and that's just not really something you want to have to do with a 750Li in daily city traffic, every so often or on the highway sure, but not cruising through downtown Charlotte.

Hopefully if he decides to get a E60 he can get a good deal on one since it is going to be the last year for it...