View Single Post
      06-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #91
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

It used to be pretty popular for lots of Canadians to go and buy their car in the US and then import their new car into Canada. It was especially popular when the Canadian $ was on par or even higher than the US $. I haven't heard much about it lately. It wasn't uncommon to save $15k to $20k or even more on an average luxury car!

So I don't see why it should be very dificult for US citizens to buy a Canadian model car and import it to the US.

You do have to keep in mind though that there are a couple of differences between US and Canadian models. For example: Daytime running lights are mandatory in Canada, the dashboard either is in km/h only or has the km/h and mph on the speedometer but the mph are usually a lot smaller. The emissions standards are different (as far as I know they are more stringent in Canada). So it is possible that if you buy a car here and intend on importing it to the US, that you are required to have certain modification on the car performed and that you need to show them proof that they have peen completed on the car prior to them giving you the green light...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0