View Single Post
      11-27-2021, 08:00 AM   #3
mws
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8, X5M, M760i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atavus View Post
I’d presumed it’s what first gear is there for. The car doesn’t seem to use it in my experience. I only engage it for very slow moving traffic.

Haven’t read the Apple news link.
you should check the article. Motor Trend found an ECU glitch in the 550i that hindered only the launch. Once it was found and fixed by BMW, it got a good bit quicker.

right, 1st Gear is ignored during proper Launch Control. (plenty of torque, and shifts take time--so, avoid shifts). I also find that in (automatic) Sport mode, 8th is largely ignored as well, cruising the highway at 80mph, I have yet to see it settle into 8th gear. Thus making it a 6-speed car in Sport mode, virtually.

I was surprised to see the lack of drag info online. One video from Europe showing this

0-100kph in 3.91 which is a bit better than my 0-60mph.

And he is getting visible wheel spin, which is a waste of time. He could possibly be even quicker on launch. His tires are likely over-inflated. I know from experience with Dragy. Being overinflated by 8-10 psi can literally lose you 1.4 seconds on launch!

well if anyone has non-run-flats and can drag their launch, I would love to see the results, please.
Appreciate 0