01-16-2020, 07:29 PM   #207
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm41 View Post
I disagree. Yes, I believe the majority of people driving around in new leased M cars are just badge snobs with more money than the badge snobs driving around in an M340, there are a lot of older M owners this is not true for.

I also disagree that older M cars are for poor people. Most anyone can walk into a dealership and sign paperwork for a $900 lease with proof of income and mediocre credit.

Not many people can hand over a $30k cashiers check for a 10 year old car. Nor can they stomach the absurd cost of maintenance.

I'm 37, self-employed, bi-coastal (live in both Florida and California), and have the title to my car in a safe. Am I rich? No. Could I walk into a BMW dealership today and take my pick? Yes.

What I'm getting at is, the type of people who simply point at an older car and blame it on lack of financial ability to procure a newer car just don't get it.

Would you point at someone in an old Porsche 356 that he just bought at auction for $200k and write him off as being poor for driving an old car?

Some M owners maintain their own cars, love a specific platform for a reason, care about heritage and legacy. They love driving a true motorsport-derived car, even if it means expensive maintenance, obsessive warm up routines, quirkiness they call "character", etc.

I drive an E92 M3 because I love German V8s and I love the M3 heritage. I read about M history, enjoy wrenching on my own car (I pay a membership fee to access a lift I use regularly and do all of my own work, aside from rod bearings).

Owning my M3 is expensive. And tedious. And time consuming. At times it's a downright hassle. But I do it enthusiastically, and it's rewarding.

It's nice to know that badge is special. Not because I care what it means to others. But as a true car enthusiast from the age of like two years old, it's a badge of pride. It reminds me that I've subscribed to an entire ownership experience and not just something neat to get from point A to point B in.

I guess badge/brand dilution doesn't really piss me off the way it does others, but it certainly doesn't help maintain the brand as a true enthusiasts brand, and my decision to drive the M3 I most desire is not reflective of what I can afford. It's reflective of how much I'm willing to participate in the ownership experience, and when I roll my eyes at non-M cars with M badges, it's is most certainly not rooted in narcissism.
I follow 100%. I own my 2015 outright, and any modification was made and paid for, upfront. At 33 with a wedding coming, house etc on the go, I would never want a large monthly payment, although I did finance for about 6 months before paying it off, completely.

I'd much rather own my shit, build it, track it etc than have a $80k + car note with mod costs on top. This is unfortunately the "millennial" world we're in, and it's only going to get worse as creditors seem to be throwing more and more money at people who will never be able to pay down their loans.

FWIW, if the F22 wasn't almost identical in size to the E46 M3 and wasn't available with an LSD, I would never have bought it as a long term keeper. But since my build is where it's at, there's currently no base BMW M car that appeals to me enough to move into one at the prices that they're sitting at.

What I do lick my lips over is all of the depreciated M3's out there for under $50k CDN, I'd rock one as a DD as opposed to my typical VW counterparts anytime! But I wouldn't go balls into a track build, because you'd basically be redoing everything BMW already did to the car, which is pointless, imo.

Last edited by Dylan86; 01-16-2020 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 2
cjm41752.50
JeremyDFW458.00