08-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #40
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
Valid points (especially regarding steering of the Audi). Fair enough.

Nevertheless, I would never consider Alpina to be a performance marque of BMW though. That title belongs to the M Division.

Alpina looks like some poser/aftermarket firm (even though they are built directly at BMW factories in Dingolfing). No brand prestige or brand affiliation that identifies themselves as premium performance (e.g. in the way AMG, Quattro S/RS, Jaguar Land Rover SVR identify themselves as a performance brand).

Alpina cars look like bling machines instead of premium performance stock configuration vehicles.
Don't get me wrong, BMW isn't the best in class for all segments. The 7 has always been the one struggle to keep up with the Audi S8 and Merc S63 as far as performance and interior. BMW has an identity crisis with the 7. It's very hard for BMW to determine if they should make it sporty or comfortable.

At the end of the day, BMW wants sales. The exterior styling, driving dynamic, and comfort are its highest priority. The new one now focus on the interior as well. They realized that a 7 buyers didn't care how fast it goes 0-60 or what it can do in quarter mile.

When I bought my 7, I loved the styling and how it drove. I didn't even bother to research the speed department. When I bought my F80 M3, I did so much research my eyes started crossing. The M3 (and 3 series) is untouchable in its class. Same goes with my X5M. Tons of research and BMW came out a winner for performance/styling/handling.

The moral of the story is the drivers who love BMWs and wants the biggest/rarest version (that will be worth a lot if you hang onto it), the Alpina B7 will win. If you can get pass the Audi's boring exterior lines and plan to hit the track every weekend, then the Audi S8 Plus will do. If you like technology, the S63 wins that category (although the new 7 gives them a run for the money).

BMW knows damn well a 7 buyer isn't tracking their cars. And since they're doing so well in China, Chinese execs don't drive their cars so they can care less about 0-60. They sit in the back seats.

The guys who buy the B7 wear Patek Philippe watches, make over $275k, and live in the neighborhood where there are dozens of S8s and S63s in a mile radius. They trust BMW engineering and wants the rarest big car, which is the B7. Do you think Patek Philippe watches are more accurate or have more functionality than a $20 Casio? Of course not, this segment of consumers buy nice watches for status and to be unique. If they wanted to compare specs to milisec, they would rather wear an Apple or Droid watch. Regardless, the B7 will lay down respectable numbers and cornering without sacrificing creature comfort.

I would love to get my hands on one.