Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funf6cyl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Yes this was my biggest pet peeve with the Cayenne and Macan I was looking at. Full leather is beuatiful on the top dash/doortops, but even still it doesn't cover the door cards (unlike the Panamera) or even the large grab handles on both the center console and doors, they're still plastic and require an extra $1k in options to get them covered in Alcantara or Leather and at that point a custom order is required, most dealers only order the cheap partial leather since the Macan and Cayenne are their sales leaders. The quality is very nice, but materials wise the X5's cabin feels much nicer and in my opinion looks nicer too with more stitching and design patterns as well as physical controls.
Yes Porsche does charge you for what you get and you get what you pay for. I will tell you though, Porsche parts, and their leather are a step or two above BMW. Not only that they're screwed together better. And beyond that, the paint quality is better, the controls are better, the seat motors are crisper in their operation, etc. Having owned many, as mentioned, the small things stand out more and more.
My Macan GTS was a ~80K msrp, my M5C was 115K, yet the Macan GTS felt and looked like the more expensive car. Now, had I spent another 3-5k on leather, it would have been even nicer. BMW charges you 3500 in the M5C to add full leather and it's not even really that mice. Also the stitching is nice but many cheap cars do that so it's not anything extravagant to do.
Again, not disagreeing to Porsche quality, just disappointing that they use more plastic in areas that are noticeable on a car that is a whole lot more expensive. It may be high quality plastic, but in the end its still plastic. The leather is very nice, but I expect in a car of their price to use it in more areas where the competition does. Even my son's Mazda6 has a leather padded center console. Not a deal-breaker but an annoyance and something you notice everyday. One of the reasons why my wife preferred the GLC she bought over the X3 was the general use of more leather/leatherette where the X3 used hard plastic.