View Single Post
      11-07-2022, 01:28 PM   #48
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM4 View Post
Personally I've come to learn that I need to see these new BMW vehicles in real life before making a decision. I originally couldn't stand the new G80-G82 design from pictures but now own a BSM manual transmission 2021 M4 and absolutely love the car.
This is honestly good advice with any automotive design. As someone who has studied and attempted to get better at photography (mostly unsuccessfully, lol), learning about light, depth of field, perspective, etc. really opened my eyes to not trust what 2D images tell me about certain things, as there are ways of making some questionable things look good in photos and vice versa. Either intentionally or unintentionally.

Take for example the G80 M3 / M4. That grille looks, still to me, hideous in photos. However in real life while it's still very prominent, it looks more harmonious and less polarizing simply because most photos are taken head on where the grille dominates the image in a way you don't normally see in person. Unless you're viewing it from head on 1/2 mile away, the grille has less of an impact than in person. Likewise some very questionable surfacing at the rear looks more harmonious, to me, when seen in natural light, rather than studio light with images processed to emphasize shadows / light / contrast in a way you'll never see in person.
Appreciate 2
ChrisM41669.50
E66er117.50