View Single Post
      09-25-2022, 02:39 PM   #177
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nahlem View Post
The Rav4 hybrid is a "slow" car as you would put it nor is it the best looking out there, still it is the US most sold car and your most sold truck is still the pickups witch will be coming with EV drivetrain soon, just as the Rivian is here and the F150 lightning also comes in EV its a matter of marketing more then anything else when it comes to cars like this to get the masses to switch.

Most people as i have stated before do not go for a performance car that is mostly forums like this and its members, witch is a minority when it comes to sales of cars, even if people on this forums were buying 2-3 cars at once and all were performance cars it would still be a minimal bump in their sales compared to the big masses of other cars they sell with smaller engines more often then the big ones. So my point on this still stands more true then before people choose cars that mostly looks good but the biggest selling is if the car has the right colour then anything else.
So that does nothing to counter my belief that majority of people don't buy the cheapest, most efficient, shittiest car that is sold. Which is why I also think that we don't' drive the most efficient cars is not because they can't make them more efficient, it's because those that make cars know what people will buy, and make that. Peoples personal preferences and decision making drives what is manufactured, not the existence or lack of technology.

I used to own a 2009 Altima Hybrid. You can't buy one in 2022 here today. The 2009 hybrid gets better MPG than any of the 2022 models. It's not because Nissan doesn't know how to make them, it's because they didn't sell. The discussion we are having stemmed from the idea that we can't make ICE's more efficient. Not true. We can, but people don't want them.

You state people get cars that look nice first and foremost, but then explain how ugly the top selling RAV 4 is, are you arguing against yourself here?

The RAV 4 is slow, but it could be slower and more efficient. It's not because people don't want that. Our poor ICE efficiency is not lack of ability, it's consumer choice.

Nobody needs a Plaid, and it's not the most efficient EV either. People want it, so it's made for that reason. The Hummer EV is a great example of going backwards in the green movement of the EV market. It emits more CO2 per mile driven than many ICE's. It's also ugly and not cheap or slow. And yet it's sold out.

Quote:
When it comes to development of battery you are talking about Tesla like there hasn't been any advancement made in battery tech in the last few years witch isn't true, we are more then likely closer to 600 miles EV then not, we have seen Mercedes already done it with current tech, we will see BMW get there fast, and i will still go by the word from Northvolt Engineers that work here in my town of Vasteras where they are developing the battery's and they will most certainly disagree with your assessment of that battery tech hasn't developed in the last few years or as you put it won't develop.
We could have had a 600 mile EV 10 years ago. There is a reason we don't, or are just now getting there.

They have been developing cold fusion for decades. It will be here any day now... for decades...

When new battery tech is real, it will still take a decade or more to develop to production level readiness.

Quote:
Again every 5 years double the capacity while reducing its weight will be the norm.
Doubling capacity involved adding twice the cells, they can do that any time they want. It's not science, it's math.

Reducing weight will require an invention that hasn't been invented yet. Good luck on that. I know it will happen, but "when" seems to be the problem.

Last edited by chad86tsi; 09-25-2022 at 02:58 PM..
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50