View Single Post
      09-25-2022, 07:49 PM   #181
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM7 View Post
I'm not sure if you even check or know what you write.

No one I am aware of is "developing" cold fusion. I stay pretty up to date on the subject of fusion. In fact, what we are developing could be termed "hot" fusion, much hotter than the fusion that occurs in the sun, because we can't replicate the massive gravitational force that enables the type of fusion that occurs there. The problem with fusion...education and media, is that they are usually not telling you the true "power in" figure for the "power out". Some recent projects would make you think we are getting close to breaking even or maybe even have, but they are not using the total "power in" figure when describing it. So when you look at where it *really is*, it's got a long long ways to go. Tritium production is also a pretty hard one to figure out. Certain fusion reactors *may* be able to breed it, but current production is by certain Canadian fission reactors that are shutting down due to age and there's a very limited supply, like 165lbs, and due to it's half-life, it goes pretty fast. Back to the power in and out though, we are not close to making this practical, that's why it's "undefined years away".
Google searches are probably the best way to respond, but I doubt you will bother. It's still being tried. It's an example of energy solutions that will save the world, that never deliver / materialize.

Quote:
On your battery technology rant,

Solid state is starting prototype testing for ~2025 production. That means they have the designs and tech and are fielding the cars and making changes and getting everything working well together, just like if they were making an ICE engine car for the same model year.

Yes, we'll see the pace of development and technology taper off (or move to some other energy storage means) as we get closer to materials limits, but we are not there yet. They likely won't make long haul trucking or long distance passenger aircraft practical anywhere in the near future, but all the range that 99% of people need is within sight.
Current battery tech has advanced ~10-12% in 10 years. Not double in 5.

New tech is "on it's way". Sure it is. Great.

A solid state battery can store more energy with less materials and can decrease the carbon footprint of an EV battery by 24%

https://electrek.co/2022/07/19/how-s...ally%20cheaper.

Still not the double capacity in 5 years we hear promised. And that assumes it even works as hoped.

Forget Moore's law when it comes to storage tech. It's not technology that will solve this, you can't fight physics.

Then there are unfortunate facts like this :

Solid state batteries require up to 35% more lithium than current lithium-ion battery technology,

but who cares, right? That's somebody else's problem...

35% > 24% =/= progress

Last edited by chad86tsi; 09-25-2022 at 07:57 PM..
Appreciate 0