United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stein_325i View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The 7er is a chunky looking car and has been since the F01 debuted in '09. Almost SUV-like now in my opinion. Somehow the S-class still manages to look sleek and timelessly elegant.
This 7er is definitely chunky thanks to its boxier proportions and gigantic size (its almost 5-inches longer than the S-Class!). I think most of the newer BMW's look chunkier compared to their predecessors as the F-Series cars used very tight body-lines and creases which almost looked like tailored suits. The newer cars have swapped these tight lines for very faint and almost bulbous creases and body-lines in comparison. They look more loose to go with the tight suit analogy.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree on the F01. The F01 was a great looking 7er, especially the LCI. The E65 even in its improved LCI form still has some design quirks, and will always look chunkier to me due to its lack of harder creases and body-lines (similar to the new cars). The F01 7er and F10 5er may not be the best driving Bimmers, but they were very good looking cars in my opinion sans the hood-line. Just very elegant and stately, something the new cars just lack.

In my opinion, I don't think flagship cars should be incredibly shouty and in your face. While I get that there's the idea that you want to be seen, I think the full-size class should be all about opulence and elegance. I want a timeless design over something that is very here and now and in your face.

One thing that has really bugged me in person about the new 7er was the grill over and underbite. These bits that stick out remind me of teeth, like when a horse opens up its mouth.

Attachment 3033218
I agree the F series generation were good looking 7er and 5er. I actually like the size and shape of my G30 and prefer it to the F10, but that's not to take away from the F10. I was side by side with one this morning and it looked great.

I think the G11 is a really good looking 7. Versatile between sport and luxury trims. Great ride.

I think it's the boxy element that I don't like about this new 7. The G11 and G30 are "long and flat" looking in a way that I really like. The boxy part is the turn off for me.

But I know a lot will like it and I'm not in the market for one right now, so I'm not the target anyway!

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
stein_325i25083.00