United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3, 2017 BMW M760I

Garage List
2017 BMW M760i  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derived View Post
Thank you for all the kind comments everyone. Greatly appreciate it. An excellent community we have here.

To the person who asked what I used to take the photos - this may disappoint you - but I simply used my iPhone 13 Pro Max - it's quite good I must say. Although I still think my old 5D Mk 2 that I use to pretend I know anything about photography sometimes might take better photos. Just can't beat a larger sensor, as good as phones are now. The pixels won't be there but there is something about the DSLR photos that immediately makes a difference - even on a very old camera like that.

But I digress. The reason I wanted NV is because I am actually from a fairly suburban area in WI, and I have family that lives there still, and I have had many close run-ins with deer over the years. Would be nice to have an edge on them for once when visiting. But for now in the city it's not necessary in the least.

It's a real shame the display key is one-and-done...can't reprogram a used one apparently. And so you're stuck paying the $1k or whatever it is from the dealer for something that's basically a smartphone from 2008, a bit insulting. But I am OCD about the car having everything it came with. And the remote parking is probably worth it even if it's only a gimmick to try once in a while.

I actually have an E60 M5 with a full merino leather interior, and unfortunately it was fairly worn when I bought it and has only become more so since. At some point I plan on having it fully worked over on the inside, so I have done little to care for the leather other than keep it clean. The M760 will certainly get better treatment. Am talking to a detail shop right now to see what they recommend. I am using this as an excuse to hit the reset button on all the car care products I have, due to the matte paint I will probably end up with a bunch of Dr. Beasley's products for the exterior at least. Luckily it's in excellent shape so as long as I can keep it clean we should be in good shape.

Also wondering if anyone has real opinions on the soap to use for basic washes between details 1-3x a year. Some say you absolutely cannot use regular car wash soap because it will shine up the matte paint too much. I find that hard to believe, especially if it's a very quick wash. The car is filthy at the moment and the shops I trust the most to give it a full workover are booked for weeks. I still have some regular car wash soap sitting around I could use to give it a quick cleaning, and I think I may do that. I assume any wax or additive could be removed after the fact, but etching from water spots is a bit more permanent.

Still getting used to the power of the car, seems the natural cruising speed is somewhere north of 120 mph, and it pulls hard even at that speed with just part throttle. It's going to be very difficult to stay out of trouble. Also genuinely shocked at how well it handles, you can feel the weight but the poise and the grip is simply unbelievable for a car that weighs over 5100 pounds. Can't really think of anything I'd rather have right now.

Initially, the handling of this car doesn’t impress me at all. It is definitely easy to drive on the street with 4 wheel steering and so on. But it always feels big and soft. Also the body control on this car doesn’t impress me, it has plenty of body roll. But the steering is very precise, as precise as a M340 if not more (thanks to the 4 wheel steering).

After I bring this thing to track cross/autocross (3 times total), I was impressed by how this thing handles. It flies around the course with minimum understeer. It eats the corner just like the much smaller M340. The weight distribution is so good that I couldn’t feel the heavy v12 in the front. Although the car is still soft, it didn’t affect driver’s confidence. Everything just works like magic and I got good results as well (beating a charger hellcat in our group and was on bar with my best results, which is achieved by driving a much small performance car - Cadillac ATS-V). If I replaced the run-flat with PS4S, I believe the 7 can be even faster.

Overall I feel like BMW and Porsche takes different approaches to build big performance sedan. The Panamera drives like a performance car at any moment. In contrast, the M760/7 series drives more like a luxury car/boat/s-class. But when you push it, the 7 can definitely surprise you.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Derived16.00