07-02-2020, 11:57 PM   #1
E91WAG3N
Wagon Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39, E91, E91

Toddler hauler that isn't a minivan?

Hey all,

Looking for some input and recommendations for a new vehicle. Situation is we have a 5 year old, 2 year old, and newborn. We currently have 2 E91s and it’s not looking like we can fit 3 car seats across the back. My wife had a new Jetta in 2015 and prior to that an E36. This would be “her car” but I will likely put more miles on it in the driver’s seat than she will.

Criteria is basically something that’s enjoyable to drive, my wife and I are both firmly against a minivan. Neither of us care much about tech, driver aids, etc. Looking for something in the $30-40k range.

Some options that come to mind:
  1. Mercedes E Class Wagon S212 Generation through 2016 - seems like the logical choice. Plenty of space, good build quality.
  2. Porsche Macan CPO - a bit of a tighter fit but I have friends who rave about theirs. We’re not fans of SUVs but my friends have commented it feels like it drives like a hatchback not an SUV/CUV or whatever it is.
  3. F31 328i M Sport - not sure if 3 car seats will fit. Honestly not a huge fan of how the F3X Generation cars drive but it’s beats a minivan and we’re both fans of the looks of the car.
  4. E61 535i - might be too old and maintenance-needy at this point. AWD and turbos in a 10 year old car doesn’t scream reliability but clearly the cheapest of the bunch.

Thanks for everyone’s comments!
Appreciate 0