View Single Post
      12-14-2022, 09:02 PM   #11
Derived
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: G12 M760i, E60 M5, E28 535i

The reason the runflats feel so "sharp" and turn in so well is because of their insanely rigid sidewalls...and I did enjoy that feeling when I had mine. However they are much worse in every other way...and while you get crisp initial turn-in with the runflats, I suspect you can't really pull any more grip in the corners with them as ultimately they tend to be harder and if anything have less maximum grip available. They do inspire confidence but it's a bit misleading, when I still had the Goodyears I pushed the car pretty hard around a few freeway ramps and it was definitely possible to make the car push as the front tires started to slip. My Continentals don't feel quite as sharp on turn-in now but there is more grip available and better overall handling since the tires seem to stay in contact with the road much better and let the suspension do its job vs. the rock-hard runflats practically bouncing off the road.

Also frankly if you live where the roads are bad you will be getting blown out sidewalls in runflat tires far more often than you'll ever be getting a flat with traditional tires, or at least that seems to be the case.
Appreciate 0