Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLaneJB View Post
No but I've just looked it up and watched it. The man did a cracking job of making it nice and straight all by hand. The end job looked like it was officially done.

I was thinking more of poorly painted and not all that straight like a 3 - 6 year old could do to add to the comedy value
Yeah, too funny, like your idea though as well!

Quote:
I guess we think we have it bad for traffic in the UK but probably nothing like China. I'd still love for some nice north American roads where there's so much land vs the population size.

When I was in the US once there was a forest fire and they closed the interstate really late at night, got forced down this small road. The kind of road you see in horror movies with nothing around as far as the eye could see. There were quite a few snakes on the road that you could see and we didn't see another car for a good hour or so.

When we did and they had a pickup with rifles in the back they slowed down to talk to us (Probably because we was in a rental car and the road had turned to gravel and about to turn to sand...). I was about 75% sure they were likely to be cannibals out for an evening snack.

Being the gentleman I am though I was happy to go with ladies (wife) first to give me a chance to make a run for it It was the world's slowest rental car though so luckily they weren't cannibals and I lived to tell the story
Brilliant! Agree about North American roads, the biggest issue is getting bored and falling asleep rather than the density (in most places, there are notable exceptions it must be said!)

China/Turkey/Egypt are all places I wouldn't drive and didn't much enjoy being a passenger to be honest!

Quote:
The new F90 M5 features <snip>
^ Thanks, good to know (sincerely), (on a humorous note) may come in handy once I get my own version of mid-life crisis! (I'm past the age at 48 but it may still manifest itself!)

Quote:
I saw a LWB van today which was pretty much taking up a whole lane of the car park. I'd have parked near to him as people would already be forced to the other side and I doubt I'd stick out quite that much so he'd anger them more. Just got to identify the right places to park.
Heh, fair enough!

Quote:
Yeah you can change it to a single blink on the M5 as well but I kind of like 3 blinks. Someone might miss a single blink if changing lanes on a motorway for instance.

So not had ACC for a little while. I remember when it shows its detected a car in front of you if that car is going slower if you indicate and change lanes reasonably quickly it won't impact the speed your going. You don't have to rush but just do it reasonably quickly otherwise it'll start to slow you down. Once you get used to it then it's pretty easy traffic permitting to keep flowing at the speed you've set it.

325_buck, you'll definitely be happy you've specified this. If you've never used something like this before you'll be hesitant for a bit but once you get used to it you'll never want to go without. Well unless it's for a car with a lot of horsepower that doesn't have it as an option which was why I gave it up for a bit
Yeah, me too, 3 blinks works well for me, especially if I am relaxed and use the 2/3 bar spacing on ACC and traffic isn't too heavy. For heavy traffic, I find you need 1 bar spacing and almost have to turn off the damn blind spot/lane warning activation as it is very sensitive and starts blinking a storm in the wing mirror when you do indicate to merge into outside lane to overtake the lorry or other 'road users' doing 62 in middle lane...(I'll call them politely here even if I use another name most times) so you have to ignore it and the steering wheel corrections/vibrations.

Yes, the behaviour is as you say, once it detects the car in front (it will do so at around 4 seconds distance at motorway speeds, not sure about slower speeds if it changes the distance recognition, should be the same) it will wait until it approaches the distance you have set, which won't be four bars I can assure you...unless you are the god of patience! So, at 3 or 2 (Likely) bars distance it will start to slow you down gradually, however, if you indicate and before or at the time it just starts to slow down, it will maintain speed without issue and no 'stutter'...if you wait until it has slowed discernibly then it will take forever to realise and go faster again and slow up traffic coming up behind you noticeably...so some getting used to but once you get the hang of it, you can either let it work as expected (if you signal soon enough) or simply press the cancel/resume button on the steering wheel and then overtake and press resume when you are back in middle lane or where you want to be...

Agree that this (ACC) together with the lane steering are both very nice for most motorway driving conditions and brilliant for any slow stop and go...but both are not used by me in city driving as not responsive enough for the erratic behaviour of our fellow road users! (yet at least...everything changes)...the adaptive lights are also 'excuse the pun' brilliant...didn't think I would use those nearly as much as I do...far more than the high beam assistant on my old F series (non adaptive at that time on mine)...

Great news about the car 325_bucks...can't wait to hear and see your impressions (of your own specific car) when you have it!

I imagine FastLaneJB will go nuts waiting once you have yours as well...but I'm very happy for his to take a bit longer to keep the 'green monster <envy> at bay a bit longer!)
Appreciate 0