View Single Post
      10-19-2021, 01:55 PM   #63
RM7
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Camaro SS 1LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
How's the Camaro go against a PP2 stang?
The SS 1LE definitely still a leg up on a PP2, although the PP2 is decent, it's the first "serious" package I think with that car and I wouldn't kick it out of bed. Mustang has struggled to answer to cars like the SS 1LE and ZL1/1LE IMO. They are actually heavier than the equivalent Camaro with their new independent rear suspension and Ford has always handicapped them with skinny wheels/tires and poor suspension. They finally have managed to produce the Mach 1, but it's years down the road now. The SS 1LE is about in between a GT350 and GT350R in terms of all out performance, but those were a crazy premium over the SS 1LE. That's what we were comparing against for the longest while. Now Ford has the Mach 1, so the PP2 and Mach 1 kind of bracket it, the Mach 1 being a little bit faster around a course with the stats I've seen.

Once you get up to PP2 levels as far as suspension and performance, it's going to be a lot more about a driver's race. IMO, Ford is a little less serious about performance overall, leaning more towards selling the car based on other factors. It's not that they can't do it, but they usually choose not to. Chevy goes a little more all-out IMO, as seen by cars like the CT5 Blackwing, etc. Not that the GT500 isn't impressive, it definitely is and it doesn't suck in the handling department either...but everything they do in this area is a Mustang of some sort.

For so long the US "sports cars" weren't serious, it was hard to call them "sports cars". When I saw the SS 1LE and just the improvements from generation to generation, I knew I had to have it, since "this was serious car" and possibly one of the last great manual-trans cars. It also handicaps GM though, since most people that buy cars like this aren't looking for a serious car and at the lower levels, like V6 and I-4, there are much better choices IMO.

Last edited by RM7; 10-19-2021 at 02:01 PM..
Appreciate 1
5.M0NSTER3353.50