View Single Post
      04-04-2019, 12:17 PM   #7
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Hi Stormbitch, sorry to hear you are not getting the value you want out of the current 7 series.

I have had the F01 and the G11 and although there were points I loved about the F01, I'd not trade the new one for it.

Re: creaks: not had any (knocks on wood) in the G11 yet, it's a 16 reg and now has 48k miles on it. Solid. May be that you just have a bad car...I do know what it is like to live with a creak though so that can drive one mad, sorry to hear you have them.

The suspension is not sporty but that suits me and I'm on 18" rims which help with ride quality (smoothing out the rough UK roads) even with run flats. I do know that it is not perfect but I'm not expecting a sports car, rather a sporty luxury limousine.

I only have the basic glass and do agree the old F01 was quieter inside, however, you can spec the G11 with laminated glass that is 5mm thick to really keep the road noise out and as you know, the new LCI models have extra noise damping in the wheel arches and B pillars which should help greatly with noise going forward if you do hang on for an LCI 7.

Re: Laser lights: while they don't light up 600m up the road as marketed, they are still very bright and the regular LED high beams are quite good, in fact, I get flashed more times than I care to mention even in low beam as people find the beams too bright. I find the low and regular high beam (non laser activated) situations very good compared to my previous F01 or to other cars we've had with LED lights (Mini Cooper and a 420d) and I love the adaptive lights, although they do have some quirks such as taking too long to come back on in some conditions on the hard shoulder side of the road after cutting out (for various reasons) and the other side almost never comes on in the UK due to the high traffic volume I find, unless you do a lot of A or B road driving where it can be useful but then the cars in front usually get annoyed, not because it is too bright, simply because they see a 'change' occur in light and assume one has activated high beams (humans can be fickle!)

I actually find the new G11 far, far easier to park, the old F series was a pig in terms of seeing or knowing where the corners of the car were and the G11 handles and has better sight lines out the windows to aid in this regard.

I don't discount your experience, it simply shows that there is unfortunately a higher variability in the G11 than one would wish and therefore you can get a good one or a bad one...I hope you'll stick with them and maybe give the LCI a go and hopefully get that 'proud owner' feeling back again.

Safe travels.