View Single Post
      08-05-2018, 10:08 PM   #15
luv4greenleaves
Rep
Drives: 2014 750xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by xQx View Post
But you have a 750i?!

I mean, yes, it's a V8, not a V12, and it's not a ///M car... but were you expecting owning a flagship BMW to be cheap?!

No, you didn't get a lemon. You got a German car. There's a reason why Japanese cars have a reputation for being reliable; and there's a reason why Lexus did so well at stealing market share from Mercedes and BMW.

It's because, compared to basically any performance car made in Germany, a Toyota, Subaru or Nissan (except the GTR) is extremely reliable, extremely cheap and ... well, extremely boring.

These cars break. When they do, stuff that you used to pay $300 to repair will cost you $3,000.

If you are cross-shopping your BMW with a Toyota, Nissan or Subaru you're best off cutting your losses, selling the car and buying a Camry.

My $30,000 1 series has cost more than $5k per annum to keep on the road. It's renowned as one of the least reliable BMW's ever built.

It's also (IMHO) one of the most fun.

Why is this brand so popular? ... well, as you said: "The cars are fun".

But if you're looking for Reliable or Cheap - I would strongly recommend you head down to your nearest Toyota dealer; because BMW ownership really doesn't get any better than what you've experienced thus far.
So let me understand correctly, a German car that costs 3-4x more than a "boring" car is expected to break down and cost $3K each time... And this is why I created the post... Why is this acceptable? It should be the other way around.. you get what you pay for except if you drive a very expensive German car- it's the opposite..

I'm not bashing BMW, I'm wondering how it's became acceptable to have crap for reliability??
Appreciate 3
2000cs3502.50
Kyngofpop676.00