View Single Post
      03-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #63
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucketfoot View Post
My story goes back to high school and even earlier.

It involves a girl that I first met when I was probably 5-6 at church in Sunday school. We continued to be friends through the years and due to some strange ways our school district was setup after going to separate schools for K-3, we end up in the same school for 4th grade. At this time she became probably my first real girlfriend (at that age if kissing was involved it was serious!).

After that year things got changed again where we ended up in different elementary schools. I still saw her on a regular basis at church, but not being at the same school we were now just friends.

Forward to high school where after my soph year I transferred to the high school across town that she attended. It had nothing to do with why I transferred, but getting together with her again was certainly one of my hopes.

In my junior year I became best good friends with a classmate in auto shop, who happened to have a twin that was best friends with this girl. Because of the two of them being together all the time my best friend ended up getting together with her. I had a long-time girl friend at the time, so even if I had the opportunity then I would not have taken it.

Fast forward to our senior year and she breaks it off with him. I am also at a place where I've broken up with my long-time girlfriend and have someone I've just started seeing. With this being a new relationship I would have been more than willing to break if off and ask out my dream girl.

However, my best friend was crushed by the breakup and I just could not bring myself to ask her out as it would have completely devastated him. So, I do nothing, stay with my new girlfriend who I eventually marry and have my first daughter with (although this did not last for very long).

Years later I learn that one of the big reason my dream girl broke up with my best friend was in the hope that I would finally ask her out. Oh well...

I've now had an amazing 30+ year marriage with my wonderful current wife and have a life I could only have dreamed.

My high school dream girl has also since moved to Colorado from California and she and her second husband (by the way she got back together with my best friend and they were married for around 20 years) live no more than 5 miles from me and we remain good friends to this day.

So while I sometimes wonder what if... I wouldn't go back and change anything. But who knows what might happen if we should both end up outliving our spouses!
Reminds me of The Age of Adaline for some reason.
Appreciate 0