View Single Post
      08-12-2023, 11:47 AM   #17
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedoy View Post
I owed a Rivian R1S, but I sold it for a profit after few months. Overall, it was a positive experience, but there were a few teething issues with Rivian being a new manufacturer. Here are a few of my notes:

Major:
- The reliable fast charging infrastructure is nonexistent compared to Tesla.
- It's pretty inefficient, probably due to the quad motors and unpolished drivetrain/battery management.
- The handling is decent, but I kind of expected more considering the hydraulic cross-linked air suspension with adaptive dampers. I guess the weight negates some benefits of this advanced suspension, which is similar to McLaren cars.

Minor:
- It weighs a lot - 7068 lbs, heavier than some commercial pickups.
- The suspension is quite rough over uneven surfaces, plus super high PSI tires recommended for longer range don't help
- The 3rd-row seats are pretty small for a 201" EV.
- It can lose over 10 miles overnight just sitting locked in the garage (I had my sentry mode disabled).
- The sound system is great.
- The self-driving capability is years behind Tesla, and it was unavailable for many sections of freeways for some reason.
- The rear view/360 cameras quality are nothing special.
- It's surprisingly fast for its weight.
Thanks for this. Can you provide more perspective and/or data on the efficiency? Also shocked to read about the vampire/phantom drain you experienced. Is the car "asleep"? Is it constantly "waking up"? Do you know the cause?
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh17365.00