04-18-2019, 06:25 PM   #29
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricVR4 View Post
Native Houstonian here. Galveston is not my favorite.....it's dirty haha.

As for Houston, there are endless things to do here, you just need to know someone or know what to look for. Nightlife is enormous, parks everywhere, museums everywhere, art everywhere, food is some of the best and most diverse in the nation. If you ever come back, let me know what kind of stuff you like to do and I can give you some ideas/places.

Off the top of my head though:

If the weather is nice, rent a bike from anywhere in the city and ride around Buffalo Bayou and The Heights hike/bike trail.

Eleanor Tinsley Park

Buffalo Bayou Cistern

Any number of museums (Menil, MFAH, Natural Science, Contemporary Arts)

Hermann Park

Rothko Chapel

Sculpture Gardens

TONS of awesome art/graffiti all over the City (www.huemuralfestival.com for locations)

Discovery Green (lots of activities, art installations, festivals, etc here)

Houston Zoo

Rice University campus (beautiful place to go check out)

If you have a preference of food or type of bar, I can give you some ideas and areas that are best for each.
Thanks for the suggestions. I actually had some time free up so checked out downtown, Discovery Green, Buffalo Bayou, Eleanor Tinsley, and Rice Village.

Houston is a nice clean city and Discovery Green is especially impressive, but I have to admit that overall I found it sort of boring and lacking in natural beauty. I was also surprised by the lack of really any shopping downtown. I understand that the Galleria is just a bit west, but every downtown seems to have some shopping. Overall Houston lacks the density and vibrancy of the coastal cities, which probably has to do with how it was established after the invention of the automobile and how there's no geographical limitations.

I know it sounds like I'm shitting on the place but I'm really just speaking from a tourist's perspective. I'm sure it's a fantastic place to work and raise a family. There's a reason so many people are moving to Texas.
Appreciate 1
EricVR4602.50