05-24-2015, 12:31 PM   #145
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlmiii View Post
I just saw the new 7 yesterday in Houston. It was presented outdoors as a slightly-darker version of Space Grey Metallic on a slightly-yellow Beige and indoors as an Alpine White on Black.

It is simply a beautiful vehicle. The exterior design is gorgeous, with the blandness of the current 7 replaced by a more interesting appearance that has a few subtle sporty/aggressive details. It looks better in the darker color than the white.

The appearance of the interior was not quite as striking to me. It is certainly attractive - the detailing of the seat design and the trim(s) are nicely implemented. But the update over the current interior seemed to me more of a revision instead of a new statement. One big improvement is the elimination of the "plastic" appearance underpinning many aspects of the current interior.

But the interior is remarkable in the new and so far unique technology that BMW has developed and produced. The touch screen fulfills the goal of duplicating the feel and use of tablet or mobile phone. It simplifies and shortens the interaction process, and makes obvious the delays and small irritations of dealing with a control knob (whether iDrive or others). Experience will tell if it seems just as sweet when driving in traffic, but it has that potential.

The other technological items were also advanced and unique. BMW gave a number (27?) of features that were new and exclusive to the car. For the most part they appeared well-integrated into the driving experience and not mere toys and gimmicks. The dashboard indications, for instance, were cleaner and easier to read than in the current series.

The ability to control four functions by waving a hand evoked a smile. It is unclear to me whether it will be useful after the first few tests.

In both my private conversations and formal presentations with the BMW people (including current BMWNA VP Chris Koenders) I got the feeling that the new model would back away a bit from the uninvolved and isolated road/driving dynamic that has permeated the current models. I hope so.

Finally - the car is about 1" longer and 1" wider than the current model. That makes the 200 lb. weight reduction more notable and significant.

Reference: I am not a fan of big and/or heavy cars. I have several BMW's, which are mainly M3's, 1M, Z8 (I do have one M5). I respect past 7 models, but have no use for the current 7 (except for having to help my Dad design and buy one). I obviously like the brand but have no hesitation in not liking some things about it, especially the current generation. I came prepared to see, frown at and not like a new version of the current F-series.

That did not happen. This is a very nice car and I'll be anxious to drive it.
Good write up, shame for me the car is wider/longer the M6 Gc is big enough for UK roads never mind this extra width.