Thread: S550 to 750
View Single Post
      06-29-2018, 04:43 PM   #1
entdoc
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 750

S550 to 750

I posted this to MB World but thought it might be useful to some. I apologize for the copy / paste:

3 days ago, I traded my 2015 S550 in for a 2018 BMW 750 (both short wheelbase - which is available in Canada). Prior to the S550, I had a 2012 Audi A8 which I've left out of the discussion as I really don't think it matched the quality of either of these cars.

I was very happy with the S550 and my primary motivation for changing was that the monthly lease cost on the BMW was $1000 less / month for similarly equipped cars and identical lease terms. The BMW dealer was offering substantial discounts; the Mercedes dealer was not.

These are my initial impressions:

1. While subjective, I think the Mercedes is a prettier car. I find the BMW proportions a bit awkward and I really hate the 'hockey stick' trim. I got around that by ordering a black car with blacked out M-Sport trim.

2. The Mercedes paint quality is far superior. The BMW has an orange peel quality.

3. Interior fit and finish are comparable - perhaps slightly better in the Mercedes.

4. Interior styling is different. I don't think either is 'better'. I initially thought the Mercedes was more 'elegant'. I now prefer the BMW which feels like a real cockpit. In honesty, I never thought that the two bolted-on iPads looked integrated enough in the Mercedes.

5. The BMW 'tech' and MMI user interface are far superior.

6. The base audio system is infinitely better in the BMW (I can't speak to upgraded systems). I think this was the most lacking feature in my Mercedes and, quite frankly, sub-standard for a car that price.

7. I find the BMW seats more adjustable and more comfortable - particularly the bottoms which are quite flat in the S550 and the upper back which articulates forward in the BMW.

8. The BMW massage seats are better - they also involve the seat bottoms (not just the backs) and they can be turned on/off by a door mounted switch rather than having to navigate through menus.

9. The BMW doesn't automatically switch between forward and reverse cameras depending on whether reverse or drive is selected. When pulling forward while parallel parking, the rear view camera stays on (in addition to surround view). In order to engage the front camera, a separate console button needs to be pushed - and then pushed again to turn off. I find this really annoying and much better in the Mercedes.

10. Overall, the cameras are better in the BMW and offer a variety of different views.

11. I can permanently disable the auto stop-start feature in the BMW rather than having to do it every time I got into the Mercedes (a minor annoyance).

12. Contrary to every magazine article I read, I find the ride quality and sound level to be much better in the BMW - despite being on 20" wheels vs 19" on the Mercedes. From day one, I was aware of being on run-flats in the S550; not so in the 750.

13. There is a bigger difference between comfort and sport modes in the BMW - it really changes the character of the car, making it feel quite sporty - something I didn't find in my Mercedes.

14. The BMW feels faster and has much better throttle response.

15. The BMW (in sport mode) has a subtle but nice exhaust growl which isn't audible in the Mercedes.

16. The Mercedes HVAC is a bit better. It seems to get the interior to temperature a little quicker and with less drama. I also think the Mercedes glass does a better job of reflecting UV on hot / sunny days.

17. The BMW display key is cool - it allows functions like pre-conditioning the car interior before you get to it. But the key is huge - like carrying another iPhone. To their credit, however, they also provide 2 regular keys and the same functionality can be achieved by an iPhone app.

18. I really like having preset radio buttons in the BMW. Having to scroll through all of the preset stations to change channels in the Mercedes was annoying.

19. The BMW voice recognition system recognizes my voice much more accurately than the Mercedes system which frequently made errors (note: the Audi was the worst I've seen in any car).

20. I really like being able to quickly and easily search an internet term in the BMW by voice command - and then being able to instantly transition that into navigation directions or a phone call - something I couldn't do in the Mercedes.

21. I haven't used it yet but the included BMW concierge service is really cool - at the touch of a button, they'll make dinner reservations and then send the directions directly into your navigation.

22. The BMW doesn't have the 'infinite opening' doors of the Mercedes - it has traditional detents which can be an issue for me in my narrow garage. On the other hand, I had been hearing that the Mercedes hinges are failing and their replacement requires body work (which would bother me).

While my initial motivation was cost savings, I really like the car so far (better, I think, than the S550) - although I'll admit I felt more 'special' in the Mercedes. I'm sure it's all psychological or my having bought into the brand marketing, but it's hard getting over the perceived impression that Mercedes is 'best'.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2