View Single Post
      07-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #3
Pelo Cat
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '16 G11 730d, '18 F33 420d Cab

Garage List
Hi entdoc, good to hear a perspective from someone switching over. Cars can be such an emotive item so the only opinion that counts is the person using it!

Naturally, here you'll find many like minded people (including me!), luckily there are choices for those that prefer another brand.

I find the BMW 7 is a better drivers car, it is far more understated (which some like and some don't) and I prefer the idrive menu system. I tried an S class but have been a BMW driver for some time and maybe it was just what I was used to but there was a clear difference as a drivers car. As a passenger in the back, maybe I'd view this differently.

To your points:

Quote:
Originally Posted by entdoc View Post
9. The BMW doesn't automatically switch between forward and reverse cameras depending on whether reverse or drive is selected. When pulling forward while parallel parking, the rear view camera stays on (in addition to surround view). In order to engage the front camera, a separate console button needs to be pushed - and then pushed again to turn off. I find this really annoying and much better in the Mercedes.
Interesting. Mine switches between front and rear without me doing anything when I do switch gears, my 7 is a 2016 model but I don't imagine this has changed in newer ones, might I ask if you have the camera set to the 'auto' camera setting? If not, try switching it with the idrive wheel and then doing the front/back movement and see if that helps? You may have simply put it to one camera at some time and therefore it stays there until you change it? Hope that helps.

Quote:
22. The BMW doesn't have the 'infinite opening' doors of the Mercedes - it has traditional detents which can be an issue for me in my narrow garage. On the other hand, I had been hearing that the Mercedes hinges are failing and their replacement requires body work (which would bother me).
My previous F01 730d (a 2011 model) had infinite opening doors and that was nice, I haven't paid attention to this feature in my current one but I do believe you that it has two openings, not sure why they changed this but an important change for some as you have pointed out!

Quote:
While my initial motivation was cost savings, I really like the car so far (better, I think, than the S550) - although I'll admit I felt more 'special' in the Mercedes. I'm sure it's all psychological or my having bought into the brand marketing, but it's hard getting over the perceived impression that Mercedes is 'best'.
I love the way an S class looks, it does look the business and the interior is quite 'clean' (devoid of buttons) so I do like it for that, however, once I started driving it, there was no comparison, the 7 feels like a lovely luxury drivers car and still a bit sporty, the S felt dead to me. In the back, I could happily be at ease in the S or 7 but the S tends to sell more L models over here in the UK and the 7 the SWB models, this may be a reason. In any case the menu system on a Merc does my head in, I appreciate these things are ones that one can get used to but it certainly didn't feel intuitive to me.

I have now come to terms and actually like the fact that people just assume I'm in a 5 series unless they are 'geeks' and know the subtle differences, however, this lets one enjoy the 7 for what it is without drawing attention to oneself and anytime you want to open it up a bit and enjoy the road or help the next car remember that there is indeed quite a bit of horsepower under the hood (bonnet) then you can!

Safe travels, hope you can get the camera settings sorted to be automatic for you.

Please do continue to post your thoughts as you notice any differences with time, always interesting to hear others views!

Oh, by the way: a lovely ride you have there! I'm not much of a black on black person but they do look the part!