Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzvero View Post
Have you ever replaced a hdd? Win complains and asks you if you changed it and wants to register again online
Lmao, yes I have replaced more hard drives than the average user. My comment above said that I worked for geek squad for 5 years. I've obviously replaced more than just hard drives in a computer. Again, the only OS that complains is manufacturer OS recovery discs because it checks for specific hardware, such as a motherboard because the manufacturer pays for specific licenses for their machines. They don't want people using their recovery discs to install windows on any machine they want because that's illegal and I'm sure that it's in the contract they have with Microsoft that they have to have some kind of check because it doesn't ask for a product key to be input during the install. Also, the recovery image has drivers specific to the model it was created for so it may not be 100% "plug and play" for the average user who may not know how to retrieve drivers.

Edit: Forgot to mention that the only thing that would cause windows to "complain" about a hard drive is if it couldn't recognize it. This however is usually because the motherboard doesn't support the size of the hard drive (usually not a problem now days). This would be due to a 2TB limit on the SATA controller, or a BIOS limitation (usually fixed with a BIOS update). The only time it is due to Windows is if you're running an old version of Windows (XP 32-bit I believe, think 64-bit fixed the issue) where windows doesn't support over 2TB storage media. On either of the laptops in question though, Windows 10 recovery media wouldn't care if it was a HDD, SSD, or over 2TB in size and neither would the hardware.

Last edited by Joe240; 01-04-2017 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 0