Thread: Car Play
View Single Post
      03-30-2020, 12:30 PM   #7
LV010
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i F01

So as promised an update on my wireless CarPlay install in my '08 F01 740i.

Last week I finally received the Joyeauto wireless CarPlay unit. You can also use it for Android auto, although that's wired I think.

It took nearly 2 months to arrive from China, maybe Corona had something to do with it.

I found their installation video on YouTube. Of course it wasn't as quick as in the video, but got everything installed in about 3 hours, also using the included installation sheet.

Most complicated was routing the mini jack wire to the aux in the center arm rest.

I removed the central vents, nav screen, climate controls, ash tray and gear box surround. I was then able to connect and route all the wires and install the unit itself behind the nav screen.

I installed the mic on the left A pillar, but may reroute it to the left factory mic location later on.

Wireless CarPlay itself works like a breeze. Do make sure to turn on the aux input for sound. I programmed this to the number 8 preset button.

Siri & phone calls work well. The graphics colours are not very crisp on the screen, but I blame that on the 12-year-old display.

So far very happy with it. In retrospect however I probably would have gone for a hifimaxnavi.com unit, so you also get a fresh new screen.

Cheers,
Liam
Attached Images

Appreciate 0