View Single Post
      01-19-2021, 03:47 PM   #1
dbs600
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 750LXi Individual

Oil Change @ Indy; ARGH! :|

COSTCO was running a special on Mobil 1, so I pick up two 6 quart packs of 5W-30, I get an OEM oil filter from a dealer and head to my indy.

I tell the guy to use 8 quarts and I’ll add more later need be.

Oil change is done, car is idling in the shop for about 10 minutes (another car was blocking it in).

I ask what happened to the 4 remaining bottles - guy says he added all 8 - I say each box had 6 bottles for a total of 12. Guy added all 12 quarts to the car! WTH. SMH. F.

Car lifted up, some (not all) oil drained, then poured back into 4 of the empty bottles.

I get home, remove the now OPENED AND DIRTIED bottles (F!) from my trunk, but notice that the bottles are warm to the touch (the oil had gotten warm while the car was idling).

In the process of emptying the oil, a good amount soaked the guy’s hand while he was trying to close the drain cap, but he didn’t flinch / react – so the oil couldn’t have been too too hot.

Some questions:

Could 12 quarts of oil in the engine have damaged anything if the car was idling for 10 minutes or so?

and

What’s the deal with the oil that I now have left? Would it be safe to use going forward? The plastic bottles that the warmed oil was put back into couldn’t have been compromised, could they have been? (plastic particles in the oil would probably not be good for the engine).

Argh; was planning on keep 4 clean brand new unopened bottles of oil in the car. F. I guess I can always throw out these 4 bottles, but a waste of $30. And here I was trying to do things economically.

Thanks.
Appreciate 1