View Single Post
      07-14-2018, 09:51 PM   #59
insanecoder
Banned
Rep
Drives: 340isDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
The difference is marginal, whereas in the past it was clear.

The Germans have spent so long attempting to capture the same customer that they've built the exact same car. It just comes down to brand and interior preference nowadays, along with who will offer you the best lease.

The Bimmer and A4 are the best all-rounders in the segment, but I think the general consensus is that the Giulia, XE, and ATS are all better drivers' cars. And you know what? That's a real shame.

I'm not sure how the Giulia is selling but I know the Jag and Caddy have been total flops.
I agree the margin is diminished.. and I like the Giulia (despite its owl-like styling)
but that margin is where its all at
the engine atop the 3 is a real beauty & the beast with low end torque aplenty and turbo kickin in at ~1500rpms
the 3 series chassis is already one of if not the stiffest chassis for a sports sedan (im fairly certain its the stiffest in its segment)
everyone is pretty much complaining about the electric steering
and the soft spring & dampers they put in for the soccer moms in the standard 3
ya want a nice soft ride AND to be able to feel the road.. sorry cant have it both ways
BMW is figuring they will cater to the soccer moms and commuters with the standard 3
then get the enthusiasts with the 340/M340 which is an m-lite
then get the sportcar guys with the M series
I think they have the right strategy for money making and marketshare taking
its not exactly what we enthusiasts (at least some of us) want
their lineup is blurred.. you need to know how to configure to get what they used to putout for enthusiasts
so people buy a 320 and complain about BMW losin its mojo
well who do you think theyre aiming at with that product
they want to steer you upwards towards the M if you want a driver's car
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9704.00
paliknight2191.50