View Single Post
      03-08-2023, 04:10 PM   #55
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moopai View Post
I don't believe the coding is the issue, as I said two different guys in two different countries did the coding. What's the chances for both to have bad coding?

As to your assumption comment, I'm not under any assumptions, it was a reality to me and was an expensive one! The crap that was happening was mind boggling... Just to give you few examples, I would be driving and all of sudden I get a message on the iDrive that the driver or passenger seat is being adjusted when no one touch the seats for any adjustments. The screen would reboot 3, 4 and 5 times in less than 30 minutes. I don't believe the 2016 has the proper hardware to support ACP otherwise the dealer would've been the first to activate this feature at a cost. I remember before getting the two guys on this forum to activate it, I asked my dealer if they can do it and told them I'm willing to pay for the service but was advised that it cannot be done on my car. The reason I believe the 2016s don't have the proper hardware to support ACP, when BMW introduce ACP in the 2017s. model, they only offered it to run on half of the screen and not the full screen (most likely the processor cannot support the graphics and the processing of the data when using as an example Google maps or music etc.). So even the 2017s were not fully equipped to run ACP properly... I know there are people of this forum with 2017s that coded their cars to get the full screen but I'm not sure if they are experiencing any issues.

Now I pay BMW $120 a year to use the Traffic Info on the car map which ticks me off!!!
I see, thank you for your answer.

The kind of behavior that you experienced from CarPlay is indeed really bizarre. I have never seen anything like that. In fact, I have never seen anything but success on a pre 2017 BMW when enabling CarPlay. Then again, I have never seen anyone trying to code CarPlay by hand, only via FeatureInstaller. Every G11/12 that has rolled off the production line has hardware, software and FSC enabling certificate readiness for CarPlay. Why BMW decided not to enable it from the beginning of the production is beyond my knowledge.

Fullscreen CarPlay was probably not enabled from the factory so that you could still use BMW's split screen functionality. Making it full screen is just a matter of changing one value in coding options of head unit. The head unit of the car (HU-H2) doesn't care if CarPlay is being run in full or standard mode, because once you are in CarPlay menu, then your phone becomes the head unit and does all the image processing that is sent to the vehicle.

For my 2016 G11, full screen CarPlay works beautifully. That said, I prefer BMW's own navigation thanks to HUD integration and nifty route-ahead feature. I only use Waze via CarPlay if I need to navigate somewhere where there are very recent road layout changes to get the latest and most up to date navigation. Apple and Google Maps are sub par to BMW's navigation in my opinion.

Last edited by Raimo5; 03-08-2023 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
Rioskis14.50