09-30-2021, 03:58 PM   #62
dinonz
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 MWM ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Holy crap, chill already. I'm not on here to argue w some cocksure (and subsequently proven) wrong anon poster...jezuz. You're the one making a supposed 100% statement and now trying to attack me because that is obviously not true? Get real.

Anyway, good spot on the MX-5, that shows there are exceptions to your statement as I've thought; to speak in absolute terms is usually folly. That's the lesson if you wanna learn something today.
But you are arguing. And avoiding commenting on how many RHD cars you have owned, yet somehow you want to have a poll?

Fact is, we're both wrong. So there is no clear general rule, just like the general rules of what side the gas filler is on. Similar to my theory on the indicator stalk, gas caps are *usually* on the passenger side for where the car was designed (I'll say that rather than home country of the manufacturer). It's a safety thing - if you run out of gas and pull to the side of the road, then the passenger side is the safest to pour gas in from. But many US manufacturers have proved that wrong (lets not start on ones with the filler in the middle), and then in addition some British manufacturers like Jaguar and Lotus put fillers on both sides just to make life easier - unless they don't have a leveling pipe, and then it actually makes life harder as you have to fill both tanks.

The thing with the MX-5 above has been my experience over the past 37 years of owning a variety of British, Italian, Japanese and German cars in both LDH and RHD - that other than my Lamborghinis, they have tended to just shift the steering column side to side with the stalks remaining on the same sides. Cost saving measure. Yes, it would be "more sensible" to put them on the same side as the wheel as that's preferable for manual drivers, but more sensible and bean counters don't mix. Might be why the Lamborghinis aren't like that - bean counters didn't run Lamborghini back then.
Appreciate 0