04-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #19
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
The average Honda Accord or Camry buyer is not going to track their daily-driver; they just want inexpensive personal transportation that fits within their household budget, which should be the purpose of the Standard Model 3. I would bet a majority of the 400,000+ placeholders funded Tesla with the mind they could by a $35K MSRP EV, which falls into the payback model that makes an EV economically viable to most buyers in the market.

Since 2013, I've run numerous financial models to see if an EV financially fits my 33,000 mile/year commute. Being a 30-year 3-series owner, I'd obviously prefer a RWD performance-oriented sedan, but there are several other ICE sport sedans available to fit the bill. See an example below:

I'm just trying to point out the Model 3 EV has market limitations.
Agree. Biggest problem for the Model 3 is it doesn't compete well with the mainstream sedans that are purchased for reliable basic, or above basic but not "luxury" transportation. Model 3 is looking for the luxury sedan buyer (with sedans not doing well overall) that will consider electric (many won't or can't because of drive or recharge issues) and isn't as worried about the overall cost for the vehicle. I think this will be tough market until the prices of the batteries come down. Get an electric car that competes well with the Accord/Camry and there would be a much bigger market.