09-22-2022, 04:01 PM   #6825
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I'm not sure. I was off of work, however, surveillance mode is a common tactical consideration when it comes to using the helicopter. When in surveillance mode, patrol units completely disengage from the pursuit and allow the helicopter to carry primary responsibility. Surveillance mode is used in an effort to protect the public when a pursuit is traversing into dangerous territory and the potential for injury to innocent civilians is high. The drawback to surveillance mode is the fact that patrol units are minutes away when the pursuit terminates, which is what you were witnessing. At the end of the day, a stolen vehicle is only a property crime (…unless it is tied to an assault, kidnapping, murder, etc.).
He started out just kinda driving. They tried spike strip and then connected with a PIT, but he was going too SLOW and he easily corrected. Then he was up to 60-70 on surface streets, often crossing over yellow to avoid traffic. That's when they went surveillance. Nobody on news even saw a passenger (and little poodle) for at least 20 minutes. Then the speculation over whether kidnapping, or person was sleeping in the back

I thought units still stayed within a couple of blocks, not completely disengage. "Tell the pilot to call station if the driver stops. We'll roll units then"