View Single Post
      08-13-2023, 09:09 AM   #22
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
I just don't see how Rivian is going to survive. Within 5 years the BEV push will fade as devaluation hits, repair costs come home to roost with unaffordable insurance rates, and more efficient hybrids come online. RIVN is headed back down to $14.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Agree. It's just business. Rivian has a nice product, so do other manufacturers.

The auto industry is capital-intensive and relies (sadly) on entrenched dealer distribution. RIVN needs to keep investing capital in new products and factories, and they need to either embrace the arguably corrupt dealer system in the U.S. (read about state-by-state dealer laws) or reinvent automotive retailing. It's a steep uphill climb under any scenario.

Elon has done well and may continue to do so. RIVN doesn't seem to have the star power driving it the way TSLA does. On the other hand, RIVN could ride TSLA's industry coattails to success. The next 5 years will be interesting, if they make it that far.
In most instances I would agree; however, RIVN is also backed by AMZN (at least 20% stake) and it appears they're all in. With anti-EV sentiment, especially on this forum, I think people want these EV manufacturers to fail. I think it's too early to call it. If anyone would fail, it would be LCID, but they're backed by MBS. It could lose a material amount of money for a decade or more and they have the capacity to continue funding it without flinching.