fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxyblue View Post
Wasn't aware this was an option. Quick google brought me to an upgrade kit and walkthrough on ifixit for $90. Looks really simple and I'd just have to reinstall Mac OS High Sierra afterwards. I really only have a handful of file, pics and Office that I need to keep. Do I reset the whole laptop back to new or is this what reinstalling High Sierra does after the hard drive change? Will this get rid of Office? I do use it for work here and there.
you should back up on "Time Machine" thats the easiest way..
after installing the new hard drive, restore it with Time Machine.. you ll be fine but Office "may" ask you to enter license number again when you launch Word for example.. if you have trouble finding your license you can transfer license file from Time Machine to new system as well..

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203981 ..
If OP uses time machine to backup when he has software issues, a restore might restore the same issues. Same problem with iPhone restored from iCloud backups.

I'd suggest OP save essential files and folders then wipe it and start clean. Did this to my cousins 2011 MacBook Air with 4gb ram and it runs as new. Multitasking is a breeze and he uses chrome (with multiple tabs) extensively without the issues that he used to experience.

I'd start with that before dropping money on unnecessary new technology since it'll quickly become outdated in this day and age.