12-04-2022, 10:16 AM   #80
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Come on, there's defending the chassis, size and spirit of the car, but if the gauges lifted form an Aveo, the broken, brittle plastic GM blinker stalk and general shabbiness don't stand out to you as materially worse than any other car, you have an impressive ability to look past things. This was in a $60k car.
Not sure what the image was you posted, it came out as a thousand words...

I've never seen an Aveo, so I'm not sure if the gauges were from an Aveo. The gauges read well and provided the information needed to drive the car, so they were okay to me. I have a GM truck with probably the same stalk, which GM has used for decades since the 1980's, it has not yet broken, so maybe I found it familiar(?). Those were all the magazine complaints, did you ever actually sit in or drive the ATS. I had one for a week and racked up 800 miles in it. I found the seats very comfortable, the sightlines good. The nighttime interior lighting was a bit bright even at the lowest dimming setting. But having owned 5 BMWs over my lifetime, I think until the G chassis cars, BMW's interiors, especially lighting, to be the best in the industry. The E30 has the best BMW interior IMO, very simple and very functional and what I use to base any car's interior against. I could have easily lived with the ATS as a daily driver.

And you're right, I do have an impressive ability to look past things (especially interiors) since I recently bought a Bronco. Comparing the Bronco's interior gauge/lighting/switch functions to an E30 is like comparing a rock to the Mona Lisa. But I like the overall package of the Bronco. However, I think the gauge/lighting/switch functions COMPLETELY suck.

But mine cost under $40K and the top and doors are removeable with the interior is designed to be moisture resistant. So, one must compromise. Besides, if interiors are important to you, NEVER get in a Jeep YJ. Just sayin'
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0