View Single Post
      02-13-2016, 09:25 AM   #110
walile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsaad1 View Post
But if the performance is the same, or in the Mercedes case worse, then why pay more just for the bigger engine?
The S63 4Matic has better traction off the line and the S65 should have a slight edge on the Autobahn, but that's not really the point why.

Besides performance and smoothness, prestige is why manufactures offer V12 engines. If S-Class offers V12 engine and the 7-series doesn't, then the 7er will be considered as one tier below S-Class by the customers in that segment. In fact, BMW offered V12 in the E32 7-Series first in 1986 and Mercedes did not have a V12 in the S-Class until the early 90s IIRC.

Many also purchase the V12 for bragging rights. There isn't much that the M760i can do that the 750i M Sport can't do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CesaroM View Post
Alpina 600hp from 4,4l V8 800Nm
BMW 600hp from 6.6l V12 800Nm

Pretty similar except for the engine displacement.
And that's the deal breaker here. V12 = smooth , silent compared to V8 , V12 should deliver higher torque at lower rpm
A V12 can also be a screamer, just depends on the setup from the factory. Let's not forget the BMW S70/2 that powers the legendary McLaren F1 and the Mercedes V12s powering the Pagani Zonda.

With active exhaust, you can easily switch from whisper quiet to holy screamer at a touch of the button. Will be interesting to see which offers a louder and sportier exhaust note. You would think its the B7, but the M760i should have some M to it as well.

I am also very interested in the weight penalty of the M760i compared to the B7 and if that meaningfully affects the handling characteristics of the car.

The ZF 8-Speed gearbox is so good that I am not sure how much more "effortlessness" the V12 can bring. Though given the opportunity and the means to do so, I would go for the M760i in a heartbeat. How can you say no to a V12 borrowed from Rolls Royce?
Appreciate 0