02-20-2023, 02:56 PM   #3
Raimo5
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d xDrive (G11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidp423 View Post
Good Morning Everyone,
I tried searching but couldn’t find anything or maybe I wasn’t properly using the search function. Anyways I have a 2016 740i and I keep getting a notification on my cluster saying that my windshield washer fluid is low even if it’s filled to the top. It will appear after about 5 minutes of driving so it’s not on all the time but more often than not it turns on even though the reservoir is full. Could it be the sensor showing the level as low or possibly the sensor connection came loose. I see they don’t sell the fluid level sensor separately and comes together with the tank itself. I found part number 61-66-8-491-829. I don’t have the headlight washer system so this seems like the correct part.
https://www.bmwpartsdirect.com/oem-p...w2LWdhcw%3D%3D

Anyone have a course of action or maybe there’s something I can run through the tank to the clean the sensor. Maybe there’s some buildup causing it to give off a false positive?

Thanks
It could be a defective level sensor or a contamination by some windscreen wash products that contain silicones, like Rain X additives. These can clog the jets, pipes and contaminate level sensors. If level sensor itself is faulty, then it usually manifests its fault immediately. Fault patterns can be diverse, though, and conclusion here can't be made.

I would recommend running some good quality, ethanol based (winter) washer fluid through the system and if that doesn't help, change the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkemada View Post
I have the same problem. You have to put only original BMW liquid. The sensor is based on the color of the liquid and its opacity. In Romania I found another liquid that is the same color as the original and I no longer have this problem.
This problems apears only in low temperature in winter.
I'm not confident but pretty sure this is not correct. I haven't seen any BMW's with optical level sensors. In old times, reed switches with floats were used and all modern screenwash sensors should be capacitance level sensors. Also in user manual, BMW describes how you should mix your own fluid if you want to. Color is not a factor here and any good quality premixed solution can be used.
Appreciate 1