09-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #19
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chassis View Post
Thanks for the comments. How did you place a “hold”? How much money, if any, and was it nonrefundable?
For my wife's car, I gave the dealer a credit card number over the phone and authorized a refundable $1000 deposit to hold the vehicle for me which would go towards the purchase. If I showed up and didn't like it for whatever reason, they would refund (part of my contingent offer). Regardless, I would have disputed the charges had they not.

For the CarMax M3, all I did was select online that I wanted to purchase the car and would be at the car's existing location to pick it up. No obligation, doesn't cost a dime, they pull it from the website's availability, and physically stash it away on site away from the other cars with a "sold" sticker on it - even though I haven't committed to anything. I followed that up with a phone call to the location to confirm that the car would be "off limits" until I make my decision.

Another CarMax experience... I had shipped a car from a different location to my local CarMax. That also immediately put it on hold and no one else could buy it. In my scenario, it was a $99 charge. Car showed up and had, what appeared to be, several hail damage spots. I told them no thanks and went on my way. I began to fight the $99 refund, but quickly realized the effort wouldn't have been worth it when they started going down the "normal wear and tear" road.
Appreciate 3
chassis6565.50
M3 boi3211.00